We are committed to high legal and ethical standards and adhering to those standards is of the utmost importance to us and our employees. As part of our commitment to corporate governance, we are pleased to provide you with convenient access to information about our board, bylaws and code of ethics, among other things.
Board Member Duties
The Board of Directors oversees the management of the corporation and its business. The Ionis Pharmaceuticals Board of Directors represents the interests of the company's stockholders. Its goal is to optimize long-term value by providing the company guidance and strategic insight on the stockholders' behalf. The paramount duty of the Board of Directors is to oversee the CEO and other senior management in the operation of the corporation. In addition, the Board or one of its committees performs the following functions, among others:
- Selects, compensates, and evaluates the CEO and plans for management succession;
- Oversees election, retention, and compensation of qualified senior executives;
- Reviews and approves the corporation's strategic plan and annual operating plans, budget, and corporate performance;
- Advises management on significant issues facing the corporation;
- Reviews and approves significant corporate actions;
- Oversees the company's annual audit including meeting with the company's independent auditors without the presence of management;
- Oversees the financial reporting process and the corporation's legal and regulatory compliance program;
- Nominates directors and oversees effective corporate governance.
On September 15, 2014 the Nominating, Governance and Review Committee of Ionis’ Board adopted an updated Code of Ethics and Business Conduct to reference Ionis’ updated insider trading policy.